IB DP Business Management and Economics Teacher
Kodaikanal International School is a 120-year-old dynamic international school with a rich history of holistic education, offering the IB continuum of the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP) and the Diploma Programme (DP) to our learners. Our beautiful school and community are nestled in the Palani Hills of Tamil Nadu, South India.
At KIS, we empower our students to navigate through life’s challenges to achieve their true potential. We follow an inquiry-based approach that promotes critical thinking, learner agency and a dedication to serving others. We recognize the importance of a meaningful, relevant and engaging curriculum that connects students to real-world contexts for their learning. We are keenly aware of the need to adapt our teaching and learning model to respond to the needs of our students in a world of fast-paced change.
This position is a full-time role consisting of a teaching assignment in the IB Diploma Program. The role will consist of a combination of Grade 11 and 12 classes in Economics and Business Management, with the possible addition of Theory of Knowledge depending on the skillset and needs of the school. In addition, the teacher will be responsible for a student group in our Homeroom advisory program. All members of the KIS professional community are expected to fully support a residential-school ethos and environment.
About Kodaikanal International School
KIS Vision Statement: We strive to be a school the world needs: Our graduates will be transformative leaders, caring humans and thoughtful ambassadors for a just, sustainable and peaceful world.
KIS Mission Statement: Kodaikanal International School (KIS) is committed to empowering young people from diverse backgrounds with vision, knowledge, compassion and cross-cultural understanding. We are a community that welcomes everyone and seeks our purpose in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.
KIS Values: Accountability, Appreciation, Concern for Others, Consistency, Context, Cooperation, Integrity, Openness, Performance, and Reverence.
We are seeking colleagues who are driven by:
- a strong belief in KIS’s guiding principles;
- the IB philosophy;
- service and action;
- a focus on trust, relationships and community.
Our learning environment is characterized as:
- inquiry-based learning;
- fostering agency in our learners;
- transdisciplinary and interdisciplinary;
- diverse, safe and inclusive.
KIS is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people in our care. We support the rights of the child and will act without hesitation to ensure a child-safe environment. We also support the rights and wellbeing of our staff and volunteers and encourage their active participation in building and maintaining a secure environment for all participants. Teachers at KIS must follow the guidelines of the school’s protective behavior policies and protocols, including reporting any situation that might constitute a health and/or safety hazard to students or school employees.
Qualifications & Experiences
A teacher of DP Economics and Business Management should have:
A Secondary license or certification for teaching Economics, Business Management or a relevant equivalent
At least a Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in Economics, Business Management or its pedagogy
At least three years of full time classroom experience teaching Economics and/or Business Management in an accredited school
International Baccalaureate experience
- An advanced degree - Masters, PGCE or equivalent;
- IBDP Economics and/or IBDP Business Management training;
- Recent and relevant professional development in teaching and learning.
Successful experience teaching DP Economics, DP Business Management, and/or Theory of Knowledge
Proven commitment to participate in and establish collaborative structures
Experience utilizing data to make informed instructional decisions
Experience utilizing technology tools to enhance student learning
Understand the developmental characteristics, differences in learning styles and intelligences and adapt lesson planning and teaching appropriately.
Preferred Skills and Dispositions:
- Deep understanding of inquiry-based learning;
- Ability to provide differentiated instruction for students with varying levels of ability;
- Proven ability to work successfully in a diverse and inclusive environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers and others;
- Understanding and awareness of the challenges faced by learners in a multicultural environment;
- Dedication to student learning;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Team player with ability to delegate and coordinate work;
- Willing to work creatively with available materials/ resources;
- Able to create and teach interdisciplinary lessons;
- Capacity to support the goals and mission of KIS through his/her personal philosophy.
Reports to: Academic Vice Principal, Social Studies Head of Department
Coordinates with: MYP/DP Coordinators, departmental leader and colleagues, secondary teachers
Time Period: Initial 2-year contract, potential extensions after initial contract
- Download Application Form >> KIS Academic Position Application Form
- Fill-in the required information
- Use the form below to submit your application along with your resume
Please note that applications that do not include the application form and a resume will not be considered.