Position Name: Development Officer
Department: Marketing, Admissions, and Development Office (Kodaikanal International School Community Office – KISCO)
Category Placement: Professional Staff position
Start Date: Immediate
Background: The Development Officer will report to the Chief Marketing Officer and will carry out his/her duties under the general supervision of the CMO. He/she will work with the Alumni and Communications Officers in the Marketing Office.
The Development Office’s strategic objectives involve overall alignment and support of the School’s mission, vision and values. The strategic objectives for the Office are:
- Fostering engagement with the student lifecycle;
- Working synergistically with other KIS offices, such as Alumni, Admissions, Careers and Marketing; and
- Planning and deploying technology to support the information needs of the office.
The Development Office’s performance objectives involve
- Generating a solicitation pipeline of donors;
- Qualifying and cultivating those donors; and
- Driving conversion of dollar, in-kind and time contributions to the School.
The Development Office’s process objectives involve
- Building a portfolio of repeatable activities that support the office’s strategic and performance objectives;
- Documentation of the above;
- Capturing in instruction-ready materials for propagation to successive leadership/operations staff of the office.
Position Description: All officers in the Marketing, Alumni and Development Offices will work together as a team and will work closely with the Principal in the conduct of the Office and in the development and implementation of all plans and activities.
The Development Officer is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all KIS’s fundraising activities including, major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events and capital campaigns in order to build and maintain a support base to advance the mission of the school.
This position will oversee the Alumni Officer and report to the CMO.
He/she will also lead the team in strategic and routine planning, including the development of the Year 1 Strategic Plan in order to support the school’s 10 years strategic objectives as outlined in the 10-Year Strategic Plan.
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in secondary education, communications, or Public Relations preferred.
- Must have expert knowledge and experience with educational systems such as KIS and other similar educational institutions, with strong ties in Asia, North America and elsewhere.
- Previous experience in strategic planning, educational development, behavior change communication, and sales and marketing a plus.
- 10+ years’ experience within India, the region or internationally.
- Excellent reading, writing and spoken English (Tamil or other Indian language an asset).
- His/her education and experience must be sufficient to carry out the responsibilities of the position.
Qualifications Required for Effective Performance :
- Demonstrated ability in securing major grants and gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations, and other private funding sources.
- Demonstrated ability in planning and implementing long- and short-range development initiatives in conjunction with strategic planning processes.
- Demonstrated ability in recruiting and managing volunteers and engaging them effectively in supporting the school goals through fund-raising, consultation, and advocacy.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with academic leadership, faculty, prospects, donors, and volunteers in a wide range of roles.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, to demonstrate an understanding of ethics related to development activities, and to use discretion in interactions with donors, prospects, volunteers, and others
- Ability to conduct research, gather data, analyze information, and prepare effective, accurate, and timely reports and other documents to support development objectives.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
- Customer oriented approach and service attitude.
- Professional attitude and appearance.
- Strong problem-solving and excellent organization skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain an extensive range of collegial contacts as he/she identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards major donors and prospects including individuals, corporations, non-profits, and foundations, through visits and other forms of direct personal contact.
- Develop and effectively use the school’s prospect management database (i.e., Donor Perfect and Alumni Connect) and other institutional resources to ensure appropriate management of donors, prospects, alumni, and volunteers.
- Secure major grants and gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations, and other private funding sources.
- Plan and implement long- and short-range development initiatives in conjunction with strategic planning processes.
- Recruit, engage, and manage volunteers (mostly alumni) and provide them with leadership and direction in support of the cultivation and solicitation of major donors and prospects; coordinates volunteers’ activities to ensure their integration into the school’s development programs.
- Conduct research to identify prospects and create strategies to match prospects’ interests to the priorities of the school.
- Researches, writes, edits, and/or oversees the preparation of persuasive proposals, case statements, reports, correspondence, and other development-related communication materials in support of the development office fund-raising activities.
- Develop short- and long-range strategic planning activities to create and implement fund-raising goals and objectives.
- Plan and conduct programs and activities designed to increase the visibility of the school to internal and external constituencies.
- Educate and inspire school families, volunteers, school board members, school staff, and the community regarding the school’s mission and the principles of development.
- Develop and manage budgets for fundraising activities.
- Represent the development office at business and community meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the KIS Principal and Chief Marketing Officer.
- Support school’s mission, vision and core values and activities.
- Support Design ’94.
To be considered for the position, please do the following:
- Download application form (click here)
- Fill-in the required information
- Email the completed form along with CV / Resume and letter of interest to: email@example.com stating the position applied for in the subject line
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.