Seven Roads Junction, PO Box 25, Kodaikanal 624 101, Tamil Nadu, India tel: (91) 4542 247 500 fax: (91) 4542 241 109 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
History & Traditions
The Church at Kodaikanal International School (KIS) is looking back on a rich heritage that embraces the unity in diversity lived in this esteemed learning institution since 1901. Kodaikanal School was founded in 1901 by members of the London Missionary Society, American Lutheran Mission, Wesleyan Mission, American Arcot Mission and American Madura Mission.
The original Kodaikanal School Church building was centrally placed on the historic Highclerc campus. Its groundbreaking started in 1941 though building was interrupted by the Second World War. It wasn't until 1951 that it was dedicated for use as Kodaikanal School Chapel and named the Margaret Eddy Memorial Chapel in honor of the school's first principal. The first constitution for the Kodaikanal School Church was written in 1941, officially recognizing the separateness though integral nature of school and church.
As Kodaikanal School transformed itself in the early 1970s from a school for missionary children into KIS, a Christian international school, the focus of Kodaikanal School Church also changed with closer relationships with churches in India such as the Tamil Evangelical Lutheran Church, the Indian Evangelical Lutheran Church, the Church of South India, the Baptist Churches of Andhra and a number of non-denominational local churches.
Many different church organizations have given their support to the church and to KIS in supporting staff and other programs over the years. These include:
- American Baptist Church
- Canadian Baptist Church
- Christian Church/Disciples
- Church of Sweden Mission
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- German Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Lutheran Church / Missouri Synod
- Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Reformed Church in America
- United Church of Christ
- United Methodist Church
- Hungarian Lutheran Church
- Assemblies of God
- Swedish Baptist Church
In the early 1990's The Church at KIS officially re constituted and has dedicated itself to the service not only of the school but the surrounding community by sharing the blessings it has received from God.
Today, the Church at KIS:
- preaches and teaches the good news of our Christian faith
- provides uplifting worship services in both traditional and non-traditional forms
- gives spiritual guidance through various groups and activities
- offers help, prayer and support to those in need